FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
General Contest Info
- What is the Retool Your Future scholarship contest? The Retool Your Future scholarship contest is a program just for HVAC/R students. hilmor is giving you the opportunity to submit an essay for a chance to win a $5,000 scholarship, a brand new Starter Kit of HVAC/R tools from hilmor, a green wall of hilmor merchandise and a trip to the 2018 AHR EXPO. It's as simple as submitting a 250-word essay on how the HVAC/R industry will "retool your life."
- Do I need to read the Official Rules? We highly recommend it. You can find the Official Rules at http://www.retoolyourfuture.com/rules.
- What are the prizes? Six Grand Prize winners will receive: • A $5,000 scholarship – awarded directly to the school on your behalf. • HVAC/R Starter Kit – innovative new hilmor tools to get you started in the HVAC/R industry. • AHR Expo 2018 Prize Package – travel to the world's largest HVAC/R trade show in Chicago, IL. • hilmor Green Wall – merchandising wall featuring exclusive new hilmor tools donated directly to your school.
- Who is hilmor? Backed by one of the largest research investments in the history of the HVAC/R industry, hilmor is part of the Stanley Black & Decker global portfolio of leading brands. hilmor debuted its new line of HVAC/R tools in January 2013.
- Why is hilmor sponsoring this contest? hilmor created this contest as a way to motivate and support the next generation of HVAC/R technicians.
- How can I share this contest with others? You can share the Retool Your Future scholarship contest with others using the Facebook share button on the program site.
- Who can enter the contest? If you are currently enrolled in or have applied for admission into an established, recognized HVAC/R training school in the United States or Canada* and you are 18 or older at the time of application, you are eligible to enter the contest. * Quebec residents not eligible.
- How do I enter? Just visit www.retoolyourfuture.com, and follow the simple steps. To complete your entry, submit a 250-word essay* on how the HVAC/R industry will "retool your life." *All entries must be submitted in English.
- What is the submission deadline? The submission deadline for the contest is October 31, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
- Can I enter more than once? Sorry, you can only enter the contest one time.
- Can I change or update my entry after I've submitted it? Sorry, you may not.
- Why do I need to submit a reference? It is common protocol to provide a reference when applying for a scholarship.
- What type of reference should I submit? The reference should be educational or professional. Any of your HVAC/R teachers or your employer would be appropriate.
- How long should my essay be? The essay should be a maximum of 250 words.* *All entries must be submitted in English.
- Do I have to be currently enrolled in an HVAC/R school? Nope, you can also be in the process of enrolling in an HVAC/R school. To be eligible, you need to have applied for admission into an established, recognized HVAC/R school.
- Will you contact my reference? There is a chance we will contact your reference to screen for eligibility.
- Is there a fee or charge to enter the contest? No fee or charge. The contest is completely free to enter.
- Can I submit my entry from a mobile device? Yes, you will be able to sign up and submit your essay using your mobile device. Just go to the website.
- Can I enter if I live or go to school outside the United States or Canada? Sorry, the contest is for U.S. or Canada* residents only who attend an established, recognized HVAC/R school in the United States or Canada*.
- I'm 17 years old. Can I enter the contest? Sorry, you have to be 18 or older at the date of your entry to enter the contest.
- What if I missed the entry period? The entry period goes until the deadline of October 31, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. ET. If you miss it, you still have the opportunity to take advantage of our Students Section.
Winners and Judging
- When will the winners be announced? The winners will be notified by December 31, 2017 and publicly announced at the 2018 AHR EXPO
- How will the winners be announced? We will personally notify winners via their contact information prior to a public announcement.
- How will I know if I've won? You will be notified by December 31, 2017
- How do I claim my prize? The prizes will be delivered to your school and place of residence depending upon the nature of each prize. Your scholarship will be awarded directly to your school on your behalf.
- How are entries judged? After screening for eligibility, essays submitted for the Retool Your Future scholarship will be judged on the following criteria: • Shows how being in an HVAC/R school is helping the entrant start a new life or find new purpose in his/her life (50%). • Explains how being in an HVAC/R school is preparing him/her for a career in the HVAC/R industry (20%). • Demonstrates a commitment to his/her education and a career in the HVAC/R industry (20%). • Adheres to proper grammar and spelling and is presented in an organized manner (10%).
- Who judges the entries? Representatives from hilmor and its affiliated partners will judge the entries.
- What are my chances of winning? We do not know how many entries to expect, but we encourage you to enter and give it your best shot.
- Can I see where I ranked among all the entries after the contest? There will be no ranking of all the submissions.
- What happens if I win? Six Grand Prize winners will receive: • A $5,000 scholarship – awarded directly to the school on your behalf. • HVAC/R Starter Kit – innovative new hilmor tools to get you started in the HVAC/R industry. • AHR EXPO 2018 Prize Package – travel to the world's largest HVAC/R trade show in Chicago, IL. • hilmor Green Wall – merchandising wall featuring exclusive new hilmor tools donated directly to your school.